Prior to beginning work on this assignment, please read all the required readings and the Instructor Guidance, as well as view all required multimedia. It is suggested that you also review the recommended resources for this week as a number of them may assist you in creating this written assignment with links to applicable articles.
Too often, when we learn about memory development, we forget that this has a direct relationship to effectively learning. Knowledge is essentially a memory and how well we process information affects our performance at many levels. For this paper, you will be explaining some of the cognitive-based ideologies that explain how memory development works, how it is affected by outside variables, and strategies for improving one’s own information processing effectively. You will demonstrate an understanding of psychological research methods and skeptical inquiry by correctly utilizing support resources within your writing.
Discuss the following in your paper:
- What is memory development and how does it relate to acquiring new knowledge?
- Why is it important to successfully move information from working (short-term) memory to long-term memory (effective information processing)?
- What strategies can be utilized to move knowledge from working memory to long-term memory more effectively? (List a minimum of three strategies.)
- How much does attention and perception play a role in successful development of schema?
- How do the types of memories (knowledge) affect how we effectively process information?
- Consider the following:
- Semantic memories
- Episodic memories
- Autobiographical memories
- Consider the following:
- How does false memory development affect how we learn effectively? Is anyone immune?
The Knowledge Acquisition and Memory Development paper
- Must be four double-spaced pages in length (not including title and references pages) and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center (Links to an external site.).
- Must include a separate title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must use headings and sub-headings. See example. (Links to an external site.)
- Must use appropriate research methods (e.g. use of the Ashford library) to support the content inclusions.
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement. [Explain the topic of this paper and succinctly summarize the elements you will discuss.]
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought. For assistance with the critical thinking portion of the written assignment, please see the information included on the Critical Thinking Community website (Links to an external site.).
- Must end with a conclusion that summarizes your topic and findings.
- Must use at least one scholarly source from the Ashford University Library, in addition to the required e-book.
- Must not use quoted material.
- Must document all sources in APA style, as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.
- Must include a separate reference page that is formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center. If you are unsure how to create an APA style reference page, please visit the Citation and Reference page on the Ashford Writing Center website.
- Submit this paper to the Grammarly tool within the course prior to submission. See resources tab on the left.