After graduating with your degree, you’ve been hired by a local company that is in the process of moving into new space. Your job is design out the local area network for this new space. The office building has 3 floors with cubicle and office space for 24 workstations on each floor. Additionally, on the second floor, there is a separate space designated for four file servers, which will be used company-wide. Finally, there are two telecommunications closets on each end of each floor for housing network equipment.
Your design assumption is that the network should support the following on each desktop workstation:
a) Office applications such as Microsoft Office Suite (housed on one of the local servers)
b) Electronic Mail (housed on one of the local servers)
c) Network file sharing (housed on one of the local servers)
d) Internet Access
e) Database access to one of the local servers
f) Occasional data streaming (live video conferencing, etc.)
Your specific assignment is to complete the following:
1. Specify what type of cabling would run to each workstation;
2. Specify the network device(s) housed on each floor;
3. Specify the connections between the network devices and servers (what type of network are you proposing); and
4. Explain your rationale for each of the decision above. In other words, why did you select the device/cabling/connections.
5. Develop a physical network diagram that shows cabling choices, network devices and connections to devices and servers.