The purpose of this assignment is to provide students with critical reading skills of scientific writing..
The summary should address the following questions:
- What is the hypothesis (or hypotheses) for this paper?
- Why was the experiment performed?
- What are the important result highlights?
- Why do the results matter?
- How is this related to any topics covered in labs so far?
- What is an interesting biological fact you learned from this paper?
The summary should first include and briefly explain key observations made by the researchers. This will also include the problem the researcher is trying to solve. This is a good place to explain the research hypothesis or hypotheses. Most of this information is usually found in the Introduction section.Next the summary should briefly explain the key methods used and how they address testing the hypothesis. You should explain if how the methods might be similar to what is being discussed in your class. Most of this information is usually found in the Methods section.Lastly, the summary should briefly explain the key findings and why they are important. Did the results support the initial hypothesis or hypotheses?
How do the results contribute to the overall field of Microbiology?
Summary should be limited to 1-2 pages in length, double spaced, and 12pt Times New Roman or Calibri font.
A proper CSE citation should be included at the bottom of your summary.